Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact on Club Events – as of 4/3/2020
VA State Guidelines. Earlier this week Virginia’s governor issued guidelines for state residents in response to the COVID-19 virus outbreak. Those guidelines have put restrictions on gatherings of more than 10 people – further, meetings with anyone outside your direct household should adhere to a policy of “social distancing” (a minimum of 6′ separation). As a result, many athletic competitions: running races, cycling events, etc have been cancelled, postponed, or turned into Virtual Events. The guidelines currently extend to June 11th 2020.
As of today April 3rd. Our first club event – the Micro Tri Series Event #1 scheduled for May 30 – IS ON as of today (check event page for the latest news AND to register). Given the limitations in place as of this post – we have placed a registration limit on this event only of 8 participants.
We will have two club members volunteering (timing and water support) – including the 8 participants, we will be at the limit of 10 people. Other precautions we will have in place in order to ensure we are all safe AND that we adhere to state guidelines:
- Online registration/ payment only (no race day registration) – our online registration site accepts PayPal; if you do not use PayPal, you can still sign up online with ‘payment pending’ and will be sent a link to submit online payment (we use Square for this). This eliminates the need for close contact with our volunteers during race day sign in.
- Any other interested participants (beyond 8 limit) will be on a waiting list. If enough waitlisted registrants (5 or more) are interested/ available, we can consider adding another limited-registration Micro Triathlon for the following Saturday (June 6) and count those results in the series. We will contact & coordinate that via email.
- Participants should arrive at the event pre-marked with their race number (black marker) in a visible place. We usually mark your hands or arms – you will not wear a race bib so just make sure the timer can see it. If you forget, we will have black markers & gloves – you’ll just need to do it yourself.
- Participants must keep a 6′ distance between themselves, other participants, and event volunteers at all times. With only 8 participants, there will be plenty of room at the swim start (dock), on the bike rack, and under the pavilion at finish. Keep a wider distance if passing another participant on the road.
- No spectators/family members/supporters will be allow in the competition area – – only the 2 VTTR volunteers and 8 participants. If the 10 person limit is ever exceeded in the competition area at any time during the event, competition will be stopped immediately. Family, friends, spectators are welcome outside the competition area – for example in the parking lot – as long as they don’t interfere with participants.
After June 11th Restrictions End. Registration for the MMTS #2, #3, and #4 and the Gwynn’s Island Festival 8k/ 5k Races are currently open without restrictions at this time. That is subject to change as the virus guidelines allow. We are very hopeful – crossing our fingers and our toes – that current restrictions will be lifted prior to the MMTS #1 on May 30th. If so, that event registration can & will be expanded. Stay tuned – and email me: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Be safe & healthy – hope to see you at a club event soon, Christine Johnson